17 San Francisco Walks
Join the authors on a walking adventure through SF’s quirky neighborhoods, grand vistas, and historic sites–FREE
It’s the new SF adventure: walking—rather than driving—San Francisco’s 49 Mile Scenic Drive. Not in one day! (sheesh) It’s broken down into 17, 2-3 mile walks.
What is SF’s “49 Mile Drive?” Since 1938, the 49-mile route markers have directed natives and visitors alike on a big loop tour of the City by the Bay. But now, instead of zooming by it all in a closed car, you can get up-close and personal with the best of the City, by following the new guidebook: Walking San Francisco’s 49 Mile Scenic Drive.
It’s even more fun to explore the “drive” with other like-minded, curious adventurers—and the authors, Kristine Poggioli and Carolyn Eidson.
Come hang out with us for a couple of hours. We will take you on a turn-by-turn guide along one of 17 sections of the historic route. Along the way, we’ll share a bit of the most-likely-true history and fun factoids we discovered while researching the guidebook.
Plus, if you want to take the challenge, we are walking the entire historic route—all 17 San Francisco Walks—in one year. (It only takes 1-2 walks a month.)
FREE, but you must register on Eventbrite. Book sales at event and gratuities welcomed! Schedule and tix links below.
Great for locals and visitors, kids and couples. If you are on a short visit join us for one of the “Visitor Highlight Walks” [Walks #2, 3, 4, 6, 11, 13, 16]
Whether you join us for all 17 San Francisco Walks or just one, we would love to meet you and be part of your San Francisco adventure!
17 Walks in 2017 Schedule—4 LEFT
Sat. Feb 18, 10am
Walk #1: Civic Center to Chinatown Gate
Walk #2: Chinatown, Nob Hill, North Beach
Walk #3: Fisherman’s Wharf — tix
Sun. Apr 2, 10am
Walk #4: The Presidio— tix
Walk #5: GG Bridge to Legion of Honor—tix
Sat. May 13, 1pm
Walk #6: Lands End—tix
Walk #7: Ocean Beach
Sat. June 17, 1pm
Walk #8: Lake Merced-tix
Mon. Jul 3, 6pm
Walk #9: Sunset in The Sunset on Sunset Blvd
CANCELLED Sun. Jul 16, 10am
Walk #10: Golden Gate Park #1 Wild West
Sat. Aug 19, 1pm
Walk #11: Golden Gate Park #2 Museums—tix
Sun Sep 3, 10am
Walk #4: The Presidio—tix
Sun. Sep 17, 10am
Walk #13: Twin Peaks Meander to Market—tix
Sat. Oct 7, 1pm
Walk #14: The Mission—tix
with Guest Author of the Architecture section: Katharine Holland
CANCELLED: Sun. Oct 22, 10am
Walk #15: Cesar Chavez to Dogpatch
Fri. Nov 24, 10am
Walk #16: The Embarcadero
Sun. Dec 31, 10am
Walk #17: Downtown – FINAL WALK
Here’s the scoop: how we’ll walk the entire 49 Mile Scenic Drive together
- Register at Eventbite [limit to 25 people]
- Nearly all the Walks are on Sundays at 10am, or Saturdays at 1pm, and take 2-3 hours.
- The meetup site is listed both in the guidebook and on the event page
- Official Walk routes average 3 miles each, AND we usually take a few of the detours and stop at a few places, so your Fitbit may register 4-5 miles. (Plus the walk back is another 2-3 miles, if you join us for that.)
- At the end of each Walk, there is an option to hop on the bus back to the beginning, continue on your own (for a yummy bite to eat, or an uber home, or…?), or walk back on a different 2-3 mile route with us.
- To see if the hike is particularly hilly, or easy and flat, check the book or event page
- We are doing the walks in numerical order, 1-17.
- Special walk dates include:
- One, 6pm Monday evening walk: Sunset in The Sunset on Sunset Blvd (sunset not guaranteed!)
- A gorgeous day-after-Thanksgiving stroll along the Embarcadero (walk off some of that pie!)
- Walk #17, Dec 31. The last Walk, on the last day of the year—so we can celebrate together!
- FEE: FREE, but you must register. Gratuities and book sales appreciated!
- RAIN CANCELS (which we will announce two days before if rain seems very likely)
Join us on a walking adventure through SF’s quirky neighborhoods, grand vistas, and historic sites
Walking SF’s 49 Mile Scenic Drive is a great athletic challenge, an amazing San Francisco adventure, and a wonderful way to connect with fun, smart, curious people —just like you. Simply pick a walk, sign up and show up. We suggest you wear layers, tennis shoes, and a hat, and bring some water.
We look forward to seeing you!